Re: Newbie cannot start graphical desktop

On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 10:17:53AM -0400, j Mak wrote:

[snip]
> have any graphical interface.
> I logged in and run /etc/init.d/kdm start as you
> suggested. But I got the message: Starting K Display
> manager kdm . And the prompt reappears. So I am back
> to square one. I have no graphical desktop still.
>
> What to do next?
>
> On a related note, could anyone point me to some
> manual that explain how to install graphical desktop?
> I already read the installation instruction but in
> that there is no mentioning about graphic desktop
> installation.

Check that you have installed the Xwindows packages, and
have configured them. As I recall, kde does not force
the installation of Xwindows. Maybe try running

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

This will tell you quite quickly whether you have it installed.

HTH

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net