Re: Newbie cannot start graphical desktop

On Saturday 11 June 2005 11:45 pm, j Mak wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just installed Sarge and everything went ok. but
> when i log in, there is no graphical interface appears
> anywhere only the command line. How can i start gnome
> or kde or any other grahical desktop.
>
> Thanks alot
>
> jozsefmak

> http://mail.yahoo.com

Login and run "startx", or look for kdm, xdm, or gdm in /etc/init.d and run
"/etc/init.d/(x,k, or g)dm start", replacing as necessary. You should be able
to startx as a regular user, but you will have to "su" to run the display
manager.

However, if an environment didn't start automatically, it's likely that you
need to install one; "apt-get install gnome gdm" or "apt-get install kde kdm"
as root should do the trick.
--
Ryan Schultz
-> floating point exception: divide by cucumber