Re: Programming Backwards (was Re: Top posting (a different point of view))

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 22:51:51 -0400, Patrick Wiseman <pwiseman@gmail.com> said:

> On 6/10/05, John Kelly <jakelly@shtc.net> wrote:
>> Would you write programs backwards?  I would hate to write a
>> backwards compiler to compile your backwards programs.

> Doesn't everyone write their programs backwards?  Don't you _start_ at
> the end?

I program randomly.  Err.  That's random as opposed to sequentially; not
as in I bang random keys on my keyboard and hope for the best. ;-)

I write one function, then jump to another function, then decide to
change something in the first function, start a third function, ...

It's also how I generally write emails.  Write one paragraph, start
writing the next paragraph, change something in the first paragraph,
add something between the paragraphs, ...

Maybe I have attention deficit dissor... Oh, look, a bird!

However, how I *write* programs or emails is different from how I
*present* them.  Even though they are written randomly, they are
presented in a (hopefully) well laid out, sequential manner; I don't
have random thoughts scattered all over the place.  I would not expect
anyone to be able to follow my emails if they read them in the order
that I wrote them.

[...]

> Then again, I do have a tendency to read Dr. Dobb's Journal from
> Swaine's Flames to the front!

Yeah, I do that too sometimes with various publications.  Then again,
since most of the articles stand on their own, it doesn't really matter
what order you read them in.

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA