Re: Top posting (a different point of view)

On 6/10/05, Carl Fink <carlf@fink.to> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 12:46:20PM -0700, Caleb Walker wrote:
> > Carl Fink wrote:
> >
> > >Just out of curiosity:  you do realize that "LCD" is an insult, right?
> > >

> > What is LCD?
>
> Least Common Denominator.

_Lowest_ Common Denominator where I grew up, and, whether it's an
insult or not, _accommodating_ the LCD is not only polite but
necessary.  Actually, I was rather pissed off when I posted that
(people get too damned righteous about bottom vs top) and so, yes, I
_intended_ it as an insult.  So, if anyone was insulted, my apologies.
 There's nothing "lower" about processing information linearly.

Those of us who do _not_ require information to be presented in linear
order in order to process it are in a rather small minority, it seems,
and so it would be pretty absurd for a forum like this to accommodate
_us_.  But I'm still a bit surprised that tech folks are so linear -
it's only in tech forums that I encounter this insistence on bottom
posting - at least where I work, tech people are among the smartest I
know, and so I would expect more lateral, reverse, circular, etc., and
less vertical information processing.  But I also code a good bit, and
appreciate the need to do that in an orderly (essentially vertical)
way.

No offense intended to anyone.  So if offense was taken, apologies.

Patrick