Re: Debian Sarge CD installation query

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 12:54:59PM +0100, Simon Atkinson wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm relatively new to Linux and in particular to the Debian
> distribution. I have read through the installtion manual for Sarge and
> see that for a (network-based) CD installation it is possible to use
> the following images:
>
> debian-31r0a-i386-businesscard.iso
> debian-31r0a-i386-netinst.iso

Yes.

> or
>
> the initial CD in the full CD set.

Yes.

The difference is that if you download the first full CD, there will be
a greater number of packages locally available to you.  It will likely
speed up the install for you, espcially if you have a poor internet
connectivity.

> My question is this:
>
> What are the images (located at
> /debian/dists/sarge/main/installer-i386/current//images/cdrom) used
> for?
>
> .. that is:
>
>  boot.img
>  debian-cd_info.tar.gz
>  initrd.gz
>  initrd.list
>  vmlinuz
>
> Are these used to create a customized bootable CD to initiate the installation process or are these files used in an installation process that is analogous to one that makes use of the floppies?
>
> Can anyone please explain how they are used?

I believe the boot.img is the boot floppy image used on the CDs and can
also be dumped to a 3.5" floppy to make a bootable floppy.  The other
files can be grabbed by jigdo to make a CD.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~sanchezr