Debian Sarge CD installation query

Hi

I'm relatively new to Linux and in particular to the Debian distribution. I have read through the installtion manual for Sarge and see that for a (network-based) CD installation it is possible to use the following images:

debian-31r0a-i386-businesscard.iso
debian-31r0a-i386-netinst.iso

or

the initial CD in the full CD set.

My question is this:

What are the images (located at /debian/dists/sarge/main/installer-i386/current//images/cdrom) used for?

.. that is:

 boot.img
 debian-cd_info.tar.gz
 initrd.gz
 initrd.list
 vmlinuz

Are these used to create a customized bootable CD to initiate the installation process or are these files used in an installation process that is analogous to one that makes use of the floppies?

Can anyone please explain how they are used?

Simon