Re: Once Sarge becomes stable...

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 06:25:48PM -0400, Angelina Carlton wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 10:23:21PM -0400, Carl Fink wrote:
>
> > Also, no new installer this time, which eliminates what I perceive to have
> > been the biggest bottleneck.
>
> How was the installer a bottleneck? AFAIK it was ready to go weeks
> before sarge was released. Just curious.

I'm not a Debian developer, but I know that when I whined and griped about
the long delay in releasing Sarge, "The installer isn't done" was the
commonest reason I was given for the wait.  Since it isn't Debian policy to
freeze the release for say, a year, while one package (the installer) is
completed, other stuff got updated while the installer was being worked on,
and presumably some of that ended up with release-critical bugs so that when
the installer was ready, they had to be fixed up before the release could be
made.
--
Carl Fink             carl@fink.to
Jabootu's Minister of Proofreading