Re: Once Sarge becomes stable...

On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 11:58:52AM +0200, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 the mental interface of
> Robert Cates told:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > not being with Debian long enough to have gone through this before, I'm wanting
> > to know what I need to do to my current Woody installation (ie, source.list
> > file) to keep using apt-get update/upgrade.(?)

If your sources.list says "woody", not changing it will result in no
furhter changes to the system (other than the security updates that will
continue for about 12 more months).  If it says stable, the next time
after the FTP masters update the archives to have stable be Sarge, you
will get new packages from Sarge.

> Just put in your /etc/apt/apt.conf:
>
> APT::Default-Release "stable";
> APT::Get::Show-Upgraded "yes";
>
> and call your distri stable and not woody in /etc/apt/sources.list.

I'll have to disagree on this.  I think it is always better to
specifically name the ditribution you want to track in sources.list.
For example, woody, sarge, sid, etc.

It is much more apparent, that way, what the intent is.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~sanchezr