access windows 2003 server shares

My question is two-fold.  My primary question as follows:
How can you access windows 2003 shares?  I have tried smbmount however I get
the following error:

debian:/backup# smbmount //jupiter/c$ /jupiter -o username=mis/mike
cli_negprot: SMB signing is mandatory and we have disabled it.
4261: protocol negotiation failed
SMB connection failed
debian:/backup#

What am I doing wrong?  In my smb.conf file I do have the client signing =
yes option.

I did find reference to something called CIFS, however it seems that all of
the links are dead.

The second part of my question:
Once I do get this to work properly, does anybody have any good suggestions
for a backup solution of these file shares?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.