Re: apt-cacher

On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 17:01 -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 06:46:18PM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 04:57:06PM -0500, Jacob S wrote:

> > > Apt-cacher serves the same purpose as apt-proxy and works just as well,
> > > in my experience. I switched to it before apt-proxy v2 hit Sarge and
> > > found it to be better than apt-proxy v1 and it would start streaming the
> > > file faster (helping to avoid timeouts that I had problems with in
> > > apt-proxy).
> > >
> > > Since you stated that apt-proxy is better, do you have some evidence or
> > > a reason for your statement, or is it just preference?
> > >
> > > HTH,
> > > Jacob
> >
> > I'd
> > very much like to know this too.  What are the relative merits of
> > apt-proxy and apt-cacher.  I hadn't realized there were two such
> > programs.
> >
> > --hendrik
> >

> I have used both apt-proxy and apt-cacher. Both work, but apt-cacher
> is much simpler and easier, and when I last looked apt-proxy was not
> really part of Sarge.
>
> OTOH, I think apt-proxy handles synonyms for distributions better than
> apt-cacher. In apt-cacher, there is a problem with switching from etch
> to testing, or testing to etch. Apt-cacher seems not to preserve the
> information that allows the actual apt-get instance on a host to
> recognize that these are merely synonyms for the same thing. As a
> consequence, if you do such a switch, you get to download the same stuff
> a second time. But how often do you do that? No more than once, if
> you are using apt-cacher ;-).
>
> Apt-cacher seems to me to be a tiny, and beautifully simple hack, that
> solves the problem. It works for me.
>
> JM$.02.
>
> --
> Paul E Condon
> pecondon@mesanetworks.net

I to used both apt-proxy and apt-cacher and prefer apt-cacher as I had a
weird timeout delay on apt-proxy and it was'nt included within sarge
(when I started looking at theses solutions) apt-cacher works fanastic
though, I just reinstalled my server and used the old *deb's apt-cacher
had stored, didn't have to download a thing, saved alot of bandwidth.
I don't know why someone said apt-cacher doesn't store the packages.gz
as my setup (and its a new setup) stores the *.gz files fine.
Also my machine isn't internet facing it's an internel server (behind a
firewall) so i've never come upto problems with routering of ports.
Another vote for apt-cacher here
| Glyn Tebbutt |                d3c3it-linux@ntlworld.com |
|--------------'      http://homepage.ntlworld.com/d3c3it |
| gpg-key: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/d3c3it/d3c3it.gpg |
|           Lisa, if we conserve the environmentalist win |
|                                          -Homer Simpson |