Re: apt-cacher

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 06:46:18PM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 04:57:06PM -0500, Jacob S wrote:
> > On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 17:37:33 -0400

> > > Since you are serving machines on a network, you really want
> > > apt-proxy.
> >
> > Apt-cacher serves the same purpose as apt-proxy and works just as well,
> > in my experience. I switched to it before apt-proxy v2 hit Sarge and
> > found it to be better than apt-proxy v1 and it would start streaming the
> > file faster (helping to avoid timeouts that I had problems with in
> > apt-proxy).
> >
> > Since you stated that apt-proxy is better, do you have some evidence or
> > a reason for your statement, or is it just preference?
> >
> > HTH,
> > Jacob
>
> I'd
> very much like to know this too.  What are the relative merits of
> apt-proxy and apt-cacher.  I hadn't realized there were two such
> programs.
>
> --hendrik

I have used both apt-proxy and apt-cacher. Both work, but apt-cacher
is much simpler and easier, and when I last looked apt-proxy was not
really part of Sarge.

OTOH, I think apt-proxy handles synonyms for distributions better than
apt-cacher. In apt-cacher, there is a problem with switching from etch
to testing, or testing to etch. Apt-cacher seems not to preserve the
information that allows the actual apt-get instance on a host to
recognize that these are merely synonyms for the same thing. As a
consequence, if you do such a switch, you get to download the same stuff
a second time. But how often do you do that? No more than once, if
you are using apt-cacher ;-).

Apt-cacher seems to me to be a tiny, and beautifully simple hack, that
solves the problem. It works for me.

JM$.02.

--
Paul E Condon