apt-cacher

Now that I'll be upgrading my lan's server to sarge, I plan also
to install apt-cacher on it, so my other machines won't have to do
as much long-haul net traffic.

Can I start the woody->sarge upgrade by updating, first,
aptitude and perl (that seems to be conventional wisdom)
then installing sarge's apt-cacher, and then pointing
the sources.list to apt-cacher running on the very machine
that is being upgraded to sarge?

In the future, when further updates take place, will apt-cacher
know how to update itself while it's being used to download and
cache its replacement?

-- hendrik