Re: updated sarge today and kde breaks, error log info

On 06/07/2005 09:04 am, Lee Braiden wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 Jun 2005 03:41, Pollywog wrote:
> > On 06/07/2005 02:22 am, Pollywog wrote:
> > I got this from the .xsession-errors file:
> >
> > Can not create file /home/pollywog/.DCOPserver_slider__0: Input/output
>
> Try deleting that file, if it exists.  Otherwise, try creating a new file
> with the same path and filename (echo >
> /home/pollywog/.DCOPserver_slider__0 should do it).
>
> Also, look for *DCOP*.lock files in /tmp, and delete those.  Then
> try /etc/init.d/kdm restart as root at the console (assuming you're using
> kdm, that is).
>
> On the console messages, I don't know why you're getting messages on all
> consoles, but dmesg -n1 should stop it.

The problem was very serious and it was not just KDE related.  It was not
possible to delete any files in my user directory, I could not even remove
that user account.  That must have been the reason that KDE would not start.
I reinstalled Linux, and since I did not know if the problem was related to
Sarge, I installed Xandros, which is pretty close to being Debian anyway.

I will have to remember 'dmesg -n1' for next time I get messages on the
console.

thanks