Re: DVORAK

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 07:41:09PM -0500, Steve Block wrote:

> a) the myth that qwerty was designed to slow you down is a lie. qwerty
> was designed to keep mechanical keys from binding, which is more layout
> related than speed related.

Maybe, maybe not. However, I do type faster on Dvorak than I did on Qwerty. I
switched to Dvorak about 7 years ago, and had been touch-typing on qwerty for
15 years before that.

> b) almost everyone's keyboard is qwerty or some very similar variation.
> When you sit down at someone else's machine or a public machine you'll
> just be at the wrong key layout, which will mess with your dvorak
> learning.

No, I can switch-hit on a qwerty keyboard in a pinch, although I am
somewhat slower. It takes about 10 minutes for the muscle memory to
reset. Still, I will remap the keys to dvorak if I can (and map them
back when I'm done) since it really isn't difficult to change the
mapping on most modern PCs.

> c) if anyone ever has need to use your machine they will be pretty much
> out of luck unless you reorder your key caps so they can find the keys.
> Ever try to log into a dvorak machine when you remember your network
> password by key position and not the actual letters?

Most graphical environments the ability to switch between keyboard
layouts with the mouse. In Windows and KDE, these are tray icons.

> d) the myth that dvorak is faster than qwerty is just that, as any
> decent amount of searching will show.

You are repeating yourself. And contrary to what you say, I am a faster
typist since switching. I also make fewer typos.

> e) if you are already an accomplished touch typer in the qwerty system
> you'll have to relearn your typing skills pretty much from scratch.

Yes, you will, but not from scratch, not by a long shot. It took me
about a month to reach the speed I had pre-switch. It took me probably
two years to start getting to that speed when I was learning
touch-typing with qwerty. Not because qwerty is harder - it would have
probably taken a similar amount of time if I had started with
dvorak. Most of your touch-typing skills easily transfer to dvorak.

> In short, change if you want to, but I found the effort much too high
> for any percieved potential reward.

I am happy I switched.

--
Dave Carrigan