Re: enhancing xdmcp performance

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 04:00:18 +0200, Cam wrote:
> XDMCP works surprising well, but it's still a little sluggish
> (especially when switching workspaces or alpha effects come into play
> (like w/ the download manager in firefox, or the logout screen in
> gnome).  I'm using a wireless network, which may be too slow... or
> would a faster network even do me any better?  I would like to have
> the client over the network work as much like using a real computer as
> possible.  from what i've read, it can be done.  anyone have any tips?
>  would using ssh w/ compression enabled have better performance than
> XDMCP?  also, is there any way to do media-intense apps (movie
> players, games, etc), over the network?

I've seen that ssh with X is much slower with the higher overhead (and
then extra load for encryption) XDMCP can handle videos in realtime on
a 100MBit network, though I've not tested full-screen and you'd then
need some way of pushing sound across the network.

Either way (ssh or XDMCP) are much quicker than regular vnc.

--
Stephen Patterson steve@patter.mine.nu http://patter.mine.nu/
Linux Counter No: 142831 GPG Public key: E3E8E974