Re: DVORAK

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 03:46:01PM -0600, Cam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So after a few years of hearing of the DVORAK layout (and noticing
> that it seems like my left hand is doing all the work w/ QWERTY), i'd
> like to try to make the switch... here's my major concern though (and
> perhaps this isn't really an issue, i'd like to hear the advice from
> others that have given DVORAK a spin).  How does DVORAK work w/ apps
> like vim, nethack, etc.? the key-layouts seem to be fairly logical and
> i would hate to lose them, is there some sort of patch--or is that too
> ugly?  Is it worth the switch?
>
> thanks,
> Cameron Matheson

I used Dvorak for a while, but had to switch back because my wife
couldn't stand it.  I may get a USB Dvorak to use just for myself,
though, since I found my self much more productive.

Apps like Vim, where the key layout is based on mnemonics, are only a
problem while you are getting accustomed to the new layout.  Once that
happens, you just know where to find the keys.  P is always paste
before, i is always insert, etc.  For apps (mostly games) that rely on
positioning of keys to make sense (e.g., the classic a-w-s-d, or j-i-k-l
sequences for left-up-down-right movement) are totally out the window.
Thanfully, most programs nowadays let your remap the key bindings, so it
is not a real issue.  Just find a sane set of keybindings you like and
use it.

In short, don't hold back.  Just give it a shot, you will really like
it.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez