Re: CUPS? Printer.

Jay Zach wrote:

Jim Hall wrote:

Brendan wrote:

On Wednesday 25 May 2005 12:02 pm, Stephen Queen wrote:

I can think of a couple of things to try here, depending on
how you do things.

1. When you run kprinter, make sure that the pull down list
about 75% down in the kprinter window that is labeled
"Print system currently used:" is set to CUPS.

2. From the application you are running, when you click on
file-print, try entering kprinter, rather than the lpr or lp
command. When the kprinter dialogue appears, check as in 1.
above.

I've done both of those many times, now and in the past.
It shows up, but no printing commences.

If I may, a comment. I had the printer in our church computer lab working. Now, it only works for the Windoze systems. I'm going to hazard a guess that something is broken and will eventually be fixed. If people with your levels of expertise and experience are puzzeled, I see no other conclusion.

Good luck,
Jim

I don't do much printing , but my wife noticed this same problem on my desktop. I had a working CUPS install to my HP1100 laserjet. All of a sudden it won't print. I get no error messages when sending a print job. I tried sending a test job, and don't see it queue up, it just disappears. When I go to the web interface and 'show completed jobs' , it shows the jobs as cancelled. I'm running testing/unstable, and believe there may be a bug in the newest CUPS packages. I've tried deleting and re-installing the printer with the same results. I've been running Linux since '98, and Debian for about a year and a half, so I'm not exactly a noob either. I even had a 30 printer CUPS print server set up at one time (although I can't say that I'm really a Cups 'expert'. I'm not sure on how to file a bug report for CUPS either.

I believe that bug #219892 at bugs.debian.org is the same thing we are experiencing. Reading through it, it sounds like it may be something with the gimpprint driver. I'm going to fiddle with it a bit. I'd like to contribute to a resolution, but not quite sure how, and I'm not sure if I'm quite good enough with printing to help out much.

Real Programmers don't play tennis, or any other sport that requires
you to change clothes.  Mountain climbing is OK, and real programmers
wear their climbing boots to work in case a mountain should suddenly
spring up in the middle of the machine room.

Tuesday May 31, 2005

begin:vcard
fn:Jay Zach
n:Zach;Jay