Re: CUPS? Printer.

On Wednesday 25 May 2005 09:00 am, Stephen Queen wrote:
> Are you having the same problem as the original poster, that
> is that your browser times out when trying to access
> http://localhost:631
> or do you have another problem? If your having another
> problem, could you describe it?

What happens is amusing.
I am using a Samsung 1740 (relatively new, but comes with a ppd and they ok it
for Linux) on a server of mine. It shares a LAN with my workstation. Neither
of them can print to it, but both of them can see it and "install it" via a
cups/631 web interface and KDE's print center. They can even send a test
page. Sometimes it reports an error, sometimes not. Nothing ever prints.
The printer worked before I redid my Debian install. I don't remember having
to do anything fancy.

> As an aside, I know what you mean when you say that someone
> says, "read the docs". When I'm having a problem, and have
> been pouring over the docs for hours, that doesn't help.
> Once I have found the solution, I usually can then see it in
> the docs. My friends and I have an expression for this. We
> call it "CLIK". CLear If Known.

Truly. And for sure, I can imagine telling someone to read ESR's "How to Ask
Good Questions", and I've been using Linux since '96, and been developing for
KDE since about 2000, so I'm definitely not new to this. This makes it a bit
more frustrating, especially when I hook up the printer to a laptop running
XP and it works flawlessly. That's a hard pill to swallow.