Re: Squid and Transparent Proxy for just one box

Romulo Sousa wrote:
> On 5/30/05, Joe Potter <jpotter1034@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>Joe Potter wrote:
>>
>>>Hello All,
>>>
>>>I need to test some proxy methods for our school lab. I seem to have hit
>>>a brick wall.
>>>
>>>I have squid running just fine on this Debian Sid box. I use Firefox and
>>>manually tell it where to find the proxy, i.e. at 127.0.0.1 and port
>>>3128. The logs (/var/log/squid/access.log) show everything working just
>>>fine.
>>>
>>>The problem is that I can not get the transparent portion working. The
>>>how-tos on the net (http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/TransparentProxy.html)
>>>seem to all involve setting up a server with two nic cards and so forth.
>>>I will need that at some point, but right now I just want to redirect
>>>all calls to port 80 on this one box for all users to port 3128 so the
>>>use of squid becomes mandatory. In fact, I just want to see it work one
>>>time on my account.
>>>
>>>I am sitting behind a firewall router and do not run an iptables
>>>firewall now. Hence, I can use any fire wall to get this job done. It is
>>>just this one box I would love to see work.
>>>
>>>A little help please?
>>>

>>>Regards, Joe
>>>

>>Hello all,
>>
>>I found it. I forgot to let squid itself talk to port 80. Seems that
>>caused a bit of trouble.
>
> Hi Joe,
>
> I'm having a similiar problem. How did u solve the problem of redirect
> the port http (80) to another higher port (3128 in your case)?
>
> Thanks
>
> Romulo
>

>>Regards, Joe
>>

>>--

Hi Romulo,

Read this one over and I think it will fix you up. The problem I had was
that I did not realize that squid runs as user "proxy" by default. So,
leave that alone and adjust the how-to accordingly is the way I did it.
In other words, replace "squid" with "proxy". (on Debian at least)

http://www.msys.ca/wordpress/index.php?p=39

If that does not work, we can go through it step-by-step if you want.
Then, maybe you can tell me how to use Dansguardian and still be able to
read the darn news on-line!

Good luck.

Regards, Joe