Re: MySQL Performance Woody Vs Sarge

On Tue, 31 May 2005 02:59:47 -0400
Hal Vaughan <hal@thresholddigital.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday 31 May 2005 02:49 am, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> > On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 09:53:53PM -0600, s. keeling wrote:
> > > Incoming from Roberto C. Sanchez:

> > > Life's far too short to waste time reading replies like that.
> >
> > Why.  I was serious.  He has a database that is approaching 1 million
> > records.  MySQL simply does not perform as well with large databases.
> > Thus, the most logical thing to do to increase performance of the
> > database is to switch to a better one.
> >
> > Now, other folks in this thread have suggested potential hardware
> > tweaks.  If those work, then great.  If not, then I think the next best
> > thing to do for performance is to use a DB that was designed to handle
> > larger amounts of data like that.
> >
> > -Roberto
>
> Just making the comment alone, with no supporting reasoning, makes it sound
> like bashing.  Adding reasoning, as you've now done, makes it a useful
> insight from someone's point of view.
>
> I agree with s.keeling, but if you had included the 2 paragraphs above, I
> wouldn't have -- and if you had included more (like experience or more
> reasoning), I would find it even more useful.

The "problem", though, is that 900,000 records isn't large, by any
standard of "business databases".  9,000,000 recs, and you're still
in the small range.  Come back when you've hit 100,000,000 records.
I'll be really impressed when you hit 1,000,000,000 records, and
*really* impressed when you hit 2Bn recs.

Besides, it was demonstrated that Woody's MySQL could easily handle
900,000 records.

As Jacob S is leading towards, the problem is that the Woody and
Sarge disks are configured differently, and thus their speeds are
different.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA  USA

"In every election in American history both parties have their
clichés. The party that has the clichés that ring true wins."
Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-GA)