Re: MySQL Performance Woody Vs Sarge

On Tue, 31 May 2005 12:39:25 +1200
Simon <dev@networker.co.nz> wrote:

> Hi There, I have a strange issue with mysql performance... We are
> running sarge on our production web server and woody on our dev
> server... MySQL is the only issue we have:
>
> Both servers are running MySQL 4.0.24, one Debian_4 (woody) and one
> Debian_5 (sarge)... Both my.cnf files are pretty much the same, both
> servers are 1.5Mhz single processor AMD with 512MB RAM, both running
> software RAID 1 (2 disks) where the mysql data is stored....
>
> We have a database with about 900,000 records in it... serial numbers
> for products... Looking up the woody box:
>
> select * from serial_numbers where serial_number is 'XXXXXXXXXXXXXX';
>
> works (pretty much) instantly, where as the sarge box takes about 3
> seconds.
>
> How do i start figuing out this issue?
>
> The only difference i can find is that an htparm on the RAID drive:
>
> woody:
>
> Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  0.46 seconds =278.26 MB/sec
> Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  1.33 seconds = 48.12 MB/sec
>
> sarge:
>
> Timing cached reads:   196 MB in  3.38 seconds =  57.98 MB/sec
> Timing buffered disk reads:  130 MB in  3.01 seconds =  43.22 MB/sec
>
> Seems to directly relate to the issue? I dont know.

Yes, hard disk speed could definitely affect the problem.

What does 'hdparm' return for the RAID drive on each server when you
don't give it any options (ie. 'hdparm /dev/hda')? You might also
include the same output for hdparm run each of the hard drives used to
make the array.

What are the specs on the hard drives/RAID setup on both servers? Are
they hardware raid or software raid?

HTH,
Jacob