Re: MySQL Performance Woody Vs Sarge

On Tuesday 31 May 2005 02:49 am, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 09:53:53PM -0600, s. keeling wrote:
> > >
> > > Step 1.  Switch to Postgres.
> >
> > Life's far too short to waste time reading replies like that.
>
> Why.  I was serious.  He has a database that is approaching 1 million
> records.  MySQL simply does not perform as well with large databases.
> Thus, the most logical thing to do to increase performance of the
> database is to switch to a better one.
>
> Now, other folks in this thread have suggested potential hardware
> tweaks.  If those work, then great.  If not, then I think the next best
> thing to do for performance is to use a DB that was designed to handle
> larger amounts of data like that.
>
> -Roberto

Just making the comment alone, with no supporting reasoning, makes it sound
like bashing.  Adding reasoning, as you've now done, makes it a useful
insight from someone's point of view.

I agree with s.keeling, but if you had included the 2 paragraphs above, I
wouldn't have -- and if you had included more (like experience or more
reasoning), I would find it even more useful.

Hal