Re: Slow Firefox performance on P4 1.7 GHz 1 GB system

On May 29 2005, Ionut Georgescu wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-05-29 at 04:07 -0300, Rogério Brito wrote:
> > Don't you see the problem while scrolling www.macslash.org? What about
> > scrolling a page with many comments, in flat mode? And what about the same
> > thing done in slashdot.org? Do you see any difference in speed?
> >
> > Where is your Firefox/Mozilla from? And which processor do you have?
>
> Well, I don't think it is the X only. Take Opera. On Linux it is much
> faster than Firefox.

My intention asking if other people see slow scrolling with
www.macslash.org (as compared, to, say, www.slashdot.org) is to know if
there is something intrinsic to that site that every Debian/Linux user
sees.

Only after we have stablished that is that we should be looking at how the
alternatives (Konqueror, Opera, whatever) deal with that site.

Again, the curious fact is that, under the very same machine, Firefox in
Linux is way too slow to scroll that site (again, for example, when you
have a page with many comments), while the same version of Firefox in
Windows 2k is quite fast.

Quite puzzling.

Rogério Brito.

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/