Re: Slow Firefox performance on P4 1.7 GHz 1 GB system

On Sat, May 28, 2005 at 12:03:21PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> I'm trying out Firefox again, and am dogged by slow performance,
> particularly on startup and window/tab operations.  The browser lags
> noticeably, a feature it shares with Mozilla and a couple other apps
> (most noticably OpenOffice.org).   All of them share the characteristic
> of opening to an initially unresponsive window which tends to show  an
> image of other desktop elements.  Screenshot:
>
>     http://linuxmafia.com/~karsten/Images/ffx-dead-window.png

I just get a 404 for this link.

> The terminal window (showing this email in progress) is duplicated over
> the browser window.  Note that the titlebar shows both blue and grey --
> the grey bit is the part that's showing on the Firefox window.
>
> Delays are noticed when:
>
>   - Opening new tabs.
>   - Opening new windows.
>   - Closing tabs.
>   - Launching the preferences dialog (Edit => Preferences).
>
> Delays are up to 5-10 seconds, or longer, for actions to complete.
>
> I'd chalked this up to Firefox itself being fundamentally slow, but
> noticed on other systems that these issues don't appear to be present.

In general, I get delays when using FF as well.  Most noticably when
viewing Slashdot discussions with 500+ comments.  However, I attributed
this more to Slashdot's crappy generated HTML.  Not sure.

-Roberto
--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~sanchezr