Re: problems with eps

Steve A <kru_tch@yahoo.ca> writes:

> On Sun, May 29, 2005 at 05:30:20PM +0200 or thereabouts, Felix Natter wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> when I try to save this file:
>> http://home.t-online.de/~fam.natter/prosper/LDCLogosm.gif
>> as .eps (for inclusion in LaTeX-document), the resulting .eps
>> looks unsharp:
>> http://home.t-online.de/~fam.natter/prosper/LDCLogo.eps
>>
>> Using gimp I tried to save in indexed or rgb mode,
>> no difference. I also tried imagemagick:
>> $ convert LDCLogosm.gif LDCLogo.eps
>> it gave the same results.
>
> Is there any particular reason for using '.eps' ? Is it to be printed ? I would
> use gif or png and make the background transparent.

I am using a standard LaTeX document class for presentations (prosper),
which requires me to use latex+dvips+ps2pdf, and dvips only supports
.eps for images...

Do you have the same problems? I can't imagine why a simple bitmap->bitmap
conversion (without loss, as opposed to jpeg!) would have this kind
of effect. Must be a bug somewhere!

> You should be able to make
> the eps transparent as well -- I'm not sure of the GIMPs capabilities in that
> format.

GIMP reports that "eps does not support transparency".

--
Felix Natter