Re: Sound over X (was Re: X and sound on debian, really wanted!)

TreeBoy wrote:
Hi, again.

Managed to get it working (sort of!).

I have a desktop machine that sits in another room because the flashing lights and the noisy fans would not be allowed into the living room.

I have a laptop that I use all the time connected to the desktop. I run X on the desktop and view it's contents on the laptop with the following command;

X -query desktop :1

What version of X?  I don't see the "-query" option in either "X --help"
or the X man page.  (I am using sarge with XFree86.)

> I am not able to get to log in remotely using kdm.

Did you try xdm or gdm?  KDE shouldn't need kdm to work properly.

Now I'm wondering whether any of this will work over ssh.  I abandoned
networked X long ago due for security reasons, and I would hate to take
a huge step backwards just to get sound.  Funny I didn't think of that before.

Anyway thanks for the update.