Re: Sarge/Exim4: Precedence of /etc/aliases?

Wayne Topa(linuxone@intergate.com) is reported to have said:
David Jardine(david@jardine.de) is reported to have said:
> On Sat, May 28, 2005 at 10:29:30AM -0500, Steve Block wrote:
> > On Sat, May 28, 2005 at 10:13:38AM +0000, dev.random@ntlworld.com wrote:
> > >Basically, I want the box to deliver mail directly. I want all mail for
> > >local accounts to arrive at me@yahoo.com.
> > >
> > >However, when I run "mail root" on the box, exim decides the mail is for
> > >"root@mydomain.com", rather than me@yahoo.com (as I have specified in
> > >aliases).
> > >
> > >I suspect this has something to do with the precedence/priority of the
> > >aliases file?
> > >
> > >Any pointers would be appreciated,
> >
> > Maybe this is stupid to say, but did you run newaliases after editing
> > your aliases file?
> >
> > This is just a guess, I'm a postfix user and have no idea how exim
> > handles things.
>
> I don't think that's necessary, but stopping and restarting the
> exim daemon after making the changes to /etc/aliases would be.
<<-- from man newaliases -->>

newaliases
Behave as if the option -bi were present before any other options, for
compatibility with Sendmail. This  option  is  used  for rebuilding
Sendmail's  alias  file.  Exim does not have the concept of a single
alias file, but can be configured to run a specified command if called
with the -bi option.

Wayne

--
A language that doesn't affect the way you think about programming is
not worth knowing.