Re: Sarge/Exim4: Precedence of /etc/aliases?

On Sat, May 28, 2005 at 10:13:38AM +0000, dev.random@ntlworld.com wrote:
I have a stock Sarge install for which I am trying to setup exim4.

However, things are not behaving as expected.

In /etc/aliases I have:

 root: me
 me: me@yahoo.com

On the box, I have run "dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config", selecting:

* Split configuration into small files: "No"
* General type of mail configuration: "internet site; mail
    is sent and received directly using SMTP"
* System mail name: "mydomain.com"
* IP-addresses to listen on for incoming SMTP connections:
   "127.0.0.1"
* Other destinations for which mail is accepted: ""
* Domains to relay mail for: ""
* Machines to relay mail for: ""
* Keep number of DNS-queries minimal (Dial-on-Demand):"Yes"

Basically, I want the box to deliver mail directly. I want all mail for local accounts to arrive at me@yahoo.com.

However, when I run "mail root" on the box, exim decides the mail is for "root@mydomain.com", rather than me@yahoo.com (as I have specified in aliases).

I suspect this has something to do with the precedence/priority of the aliases file?

Any pointers would be appreciated,

Maybe this is stupid to say, but did you run newaliases after editing
your aliases file?

This is just a guess, I'm a postfix user and have no idea how exim
handles things.

--
Steve Block
scblock@ev-15.com