Re: Sarge/Exim4: Precedence of /etc/aliases?

hello,

On Sat, May 28, 2005 at 10:13:38AM +0000, dev.random@ntlworld.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a stock Sarge install for which I am trying to setup exim4.
>
> However, things are not behaving as expected.
>
> In /etc/aliases I have:
>
>   root: me
>   me: me@yahoo.com

This is the correct place to put this, and I verified that order
doesn't matter.

> On the box, I have run "dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config", selecting:
[...]

All of those options should work, but I don't guarantee it.

> However, when I run "mail root" on the box, exim decides the mail is
> for "root@mydomain.com", rather than me@yahoo.com (as I have
> specified in aliases).
>
> I suspect this has something to do with the precedence/priority of
> the aliases file?

The previous replies have been correct in that you don't need to
rebuild the alias file.  You also don't need to restart/reload exim4 (I
tested this).  From what I can see, your setup should work.

Here's my idea to debug it:

From the exim4 man page, I've found this option:
       -bt       This option runs Exim in address testing mode, in which

(there are other good tests in there)

I run this and see:

richard@lefschetz:~$ /usr/sbin/exim4 -bt someone
R: system_aliases for someone@xxxxxx.net
R: system_aliases for my_alias@xxxxxx.net
R: system_aliases for me@xxxxxx.net
R: userforward for me@xxxxxx.net
R: procmail for me@xxxxxx.net
me@xxxxxx.net
    <-- xxxxxx@xxxxxx.net
    <-- someone@xxxxxx.net
  router = procmail, transport = procmail_pipe

I saw a similar trace when I set the alias to me@some_other_domain.
Perhaps this can give you a clue as to where it's going wrong.  Let us
know what you find/what went wrong.