Re: many mail accounts and imap and postfix

Mauricio wrote:

o Eudora seems to be using mbox format.  I would rather use maildir
o I would like to be able to apply spamassassin and other filters to all the emails I receive. Some of the accounts I have do not come with a good built-in spam filtering. BTW, I woul dlike to use postfix as the MTA. o I also would like to use imap-ssl (dovecot) to read them. Right now, if I am at work I have to run vnc through ssh. However, I would still want to be able to reply to mail from the different accounts using the right return email address.

How can I do what I want?

Install Postfix, with "home_mailbox = Maildir/" in /etc/postfix/main.cf. That will put each users' mail in ~/Maildir in maildir format. Test that first.

Next install amavisd-new and configure it. This isn't quick, but it isn't too hard either. What amavisd-new will do is pass mail to virus scanners and spamassassin, then pass it back to Postfix for delivery.

Then install Dovecot. Dovecot is fabulous: fast, easy, reliable.

As for replying to mail, the return address is determined by the MUA (mail client). Sylpheed-claws and Thunderbird both allow you to do what you want (as do most other MUAs).

Does that help you at all?
--
Keith Edmunds

|  Tiger Computing Ltd  |  Helping businesses make the most of Linux  |
|  "The Linux Company"  |    http://www.TheLinuxConsultancy.co.uk     |