Re: root compromise on debian woody

On Friday May 27 2005 9:50 am, Sean Davis wrote:
> On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 10:43:11AM -0400, Carl Fink wrote:
> > On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 07:00:56AM -0400, Sean Davis wrote:
> > > *: Linux LOVES to swap. I swap all the time on my 1.8ghz Athlon
> > > XP with 1GB ram. However, my NetBSD machine with the same
> > > amount of ram running at the same frequency NEVER swaps, due to
> > > the ability to tune the VM, and the better VM (UVM) in general.
> > > The NetBSD server almost always has at least twice if not three
> > > times as much going on (+ KDE3.4) than the Linux machine. Yet
> > > still never swaps or lags. Wish I could say that for Debian
> > > Woody, but I can't.
> >
> > Linux swaps aggressively, even when unnecessary in the short term
> > on purpose, so RAM containing the swapped data or executable is
> > available if a new task arises.  If the swapped stuff is called
> > for, it's used from RAM and no time is lost.
>
> no time is lost... you have infinite-transfer-speed zero-latency
> drives, or what? I can't be the only one who's noticed that when
> machines start swapping, they start getting slower. Or the only one
> to connect the two, for that matter.

He's talking about the swap *out* there.  Swapping in is where you see
the slowdown.  Linux tries to swap out as pre-emptively and
aggressively as possible so if you need more cache or a program needs
more space in-core.

> If there is enough RAM for the current workload, there is no reason
> to swap. Period. Swapping when it's not needed is a ridiculous
> waste of CPU time and disk I/O. If I understand your argument
> correctly, an accurate analogy would be leaving your car running
> 24/7 just so that you don't have to start it the next time you want
> to drive somewhere. Would you do that? no.

I would leave it on 24/7 if it were an easy to physically secure,
12vDC device with a relatively constant power supply.  You know, like
a hard drive?  8:o)  Mechanical devices of any type *DO NOT* like to
start moving from a standstill, it's one of the most physically
stressfull things a machine can do.

--
Paul Johnson
Email and Instant Messenger (Jabber): baloo@ursine.ca