Re: Move from i386 to ia64?

Paolo Alexis Falcone wrote (Thursday 26 May 2005 4:47 pm):
> > Are there any special steps to take to upgrade it?
>
> There's no such thing as an upgrade from 32-bit to native 64-bit.
> You'd need to reinstall the OS.
>
> > Can I upgrade the kernel without upgrading the userspace apps?
>
> If you'd run in 64 bit mode - No.

While I'm sure this is true, my understanding is that amd64 can run in either
32bit mode, which would require no reinstall or anything special, or 64bit
more, which would require a reinstall. So, really, he wouldn't necessarily
need to take special steps to upgrade it, it's just that in that case he
wouldn't be taking much advantage of his new hardware.

And then there is the thorny issue of running 32bit apps while in 64bit mode.
I've been lead to the conclusion that it is possible, though I don't know
nearly enough about it.

Peace,
Brendon