Re: root compromise on debian woody

Incoming from Sean Davis:

> disk I/O. If I understand your argument correctly, an accurate analogy would
> be leaving your car running 24/7 just so that you don't have to start it the
> next time you want to drive somewhere. Would you do that? no.

I'm not sure how relevant it is, but this is how many electronic
devices work these days.  They're always drawing power, whether on or
off, so that they may be called "instant on."

Granted, electricity is quite a bit less expensive than gasoline.

For a server performing background tasks that aren't time critical,
swap makes lots of sense.  For a personal system with a human being
(who can only afford to waste limited amounts of time) sitting in
front of it, swap is at best a safety feature.  If the latter's
swapping, he needs more RAM.

(*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling      Please don't Cc: me.
- -