Re: root compromise on debian woody

On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 07:00:56AM -0400, Sean Davis wrote:

> *: Linux LOVES to swap. I swap all the time on my 1.8ghz Athlon XP with 1GB
> ram. However, my NetBSD machine with the same amount of ram running at the
> same frequency NEVER swaps, due to the ability to tune the VM, and the
> better VM (UVM) in general. The NetBSD server almost always has at least
> twice if not three times as much going on (+ KDE3.4) than the Linux machine.
> Yet still never swaps or lags. Wish I could say that for Debian Woody, but I
> can't.

Linux swaps aggressively, even when unnecessary in the short term on
purpose, so RAM containing the swapped data or executable is available if a
new task arises.  If the swapped stuff is called for, it's used from RAM and
no time is lost.
--
Carl Fink                                         carl@fink.to
If you attempt to fix something that isn't broken, it will be.