Re: root compromise on debian woody

On Thu, 26 May 2005, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

> > always use the latest kernel ... from kernel.org ...
> >
> > and similarly with other important binaries from their
> > respective originating site
> > 	mta, apache, kernel, glib, make/gcc, bash, endless list
> >

> Sorry, but that is horrible advice.  For every app you get directly from
> upstream, you become directly responsible for supporting security
> issues.  I understand that even if you use the Debian packages, you are
> still ultimately responsible.  Not only that, but the Debian Security
> Team does an excellent job given the resources and situation.  Woody has
> versions of software that were no longer support upstream when Woody
> shipped.  That makes security support really difficult, but that doesn't
> mean that someone should run out and install everything from source.
> That sort of defeatst the purpose of a distro.

sounds like all the same identical arguments can also be used for using
the originating sources instead of *.deb  and the lag time between
patches is up to the debian security team or *you/me* ...

ones preferences to depend on *.debs should NOT make it better or worst
than using *.tgz files released from the original sources

i prefer to have tighter and finer controls than depend on old packages

and as the orioginal poster noted ... the original problem he had has
been fixed by the latest/greatest kernel ( *.30 ) which has been out for
almost 2 months
( 2 months to wait for updates and security patches is too long for me )

c ya
alvin