Re: how do you protect from spammers in Debian lists?

Incoming from michael:
> On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 13:23 +0200, Dennis Stosberg wrote:
> > Am Freitag, 13. Mai 2005 12:20 schrieb Nacho:
> >
> > > So I think it's very easy for anybody to automatically extract
> > > all of the email addresses from the web archive.
> >
> > It _is_ very easy and many spammers do that.
>
> but isn't much of the spam going to d-users@debian (as opposed to you
> directly)? that's what bothers me a bit...

It's going to debian-user@lists.debian.org, and once any subscriber
to that list who reports spam sees it, Spammy's account(s)[*] are in
mail-abuse heaven.  It's a feature.

Running away from spammers (munging your email address, & etc.)
doesn't stop them.  The only thing that might is making it all as
inconvenient as possible to stay in the racket.  Force them to run
around recreating infrastructure every time they use it, and maybe
they'll get a clue.

Get an account at Spamcop.net and LART some yourself.

[*] Excepting APNIC IP's, of course.  Those you can safely /dev/null
    at the earliest opportunity.  If I saw any evidence of APNIC ISPs
    killing abusers' accounts, I'd care about them too.  I haven't, so
    I don't.

(*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling      Please don't Cc: me.
- -