Re: problem while installing vmware 5.0 on debian

Le jeudi 19 mai 2005 à 18:53 -0400, Jason Wang a écrit :
> mmm.. it doesn't work for some reason, here is the output:
> root@4[vmware-distrib]# apt-cache search vmware
> lg-issue86 - Issue 86 of the Linux Gazette.
> root@4[vmware-distrib]# apt-get remove lg-issue86
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> Package lg-issue86 is not installed, so not removed
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 36 not upgraded.

you said formerly :

so i tried uninstall the alien version.. then
tries to install with all distro version again.. sadly, it just gave
me an error:
A previous installation of VMware software has been detected.

I infer from this that you made a .deb out of the rpm and then
dpkg -i debianized-vmware.deb

Is that correct ?

If so, try

dpkg -l | grep foo

where foo is the name of the .deb you created out of the rpm
you SHOULD see it there if it was properly installed

Secondly, I don't see how the tarball version (.tar.gz or .tar.bz2) will
complain about a previously installed .deb or .rpm. Have you tried
that ?

the system manager.

www.clearswift.com