On transcoding and preserving tags? (was: Re: How can I tag Ogg/FLAC files from their discid?)

On May 19 2005, Sven Arvidsson wrote:
> The interface isn't very easy to use, but I hope these instructions
> make it easier: (BTW, I use Easytag 1.99.4 from Sid).

Thanks for the hint that easytag 1.99.4 was in sid. I'm tracking testing,
but this package is an exception, since the new features sound like it is
worth rushing the "testing barrier" of time.

And it seems that testing won't have version 1.99.4. :-( What a pity! :-(

> * Navigate to the folder, with the songs, select them all.

Yes, be careful with the order of the songs.

(...)
> * Press the Save files button from the toolbar to write the tags.
>
> Hope I made things a little bit clearer.

Yes, once one can get past that learning curve bump, it is a really fine
tool for mass-tagging MP3/FLAC/Ogg files.

BTW, since we are talking about FLAC files and their tags, is there anybody
that would recommend a FLAC to MP3 conversor that preserves the metadata?

I intend to convert some bootlegs from FLAC format to MP3 so that I can
listen to them on my iPod, but I'd love to use lame and automate the
tagging that I have already done on the files.

Thanks for any recommendation, Rogério.

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/