Re: gaining net access after sarge install

On Thursday 19 May 2005 21:05, João Gabriel Sapucahy Chiste wrote:
> I installed the basic version of sarge in my machine and the system did not
> recognized mi intel ethernet card. but the module it's running.

Just to keep you right, "mi" is "my" in English ;)

> When i give ifconfig nothing appears, even loopback.
> What could be happened and what can i do?

If an interface doesn't show *at all* in ifconfig, it means that there is no
driver loaded for it.  If you're using hotplug, and the driver hasn't loaded,
it may mean that your kernel doesn't support that hardware.  In that case,
you can try installing a newer kernel and rebooting.

If you're not using hotplug, or you have the driver available, but it just
hasn't loaded, you can manually load the driver module with modconf.

> I have a cd with a full version of woody, that don`t boot and I can't get
> the packages with apt-cdrom add because the system says that don`t have any
> packages in there, but i installed soome debs with dpkg.

Ahh.  There is a command, apt-cdrom, I think, which configures your debian
cdrom sources for you.  I don't use it though, so I'm not sure on the name.

Anyway, as you've discovered, you can manually install packages by just
mounting the CD, finding the appropriate package .deb file, and installing it
with dpkg -i filename.deb

Good luck :)

--
Lee.

Please send replies to the list, not to my email address.