is Sarge much slower than Woody on old hardware?

Hi,

I have doubts about upgrading to Sarge (when it's stable) because my PC is
about 6 years old, and actually with Woody it's not slow, this is the
hardware:

- CPU AMD K6-2 400 Mhz
- 224 Mb RAM
- 180 Gb HD

The problem is that I use it for lots of things:

- Long queries to postgresql which can last between 5 to 30 minutes
- Web development
- Multimedia (divx, mp3...)
- desktop applications: firefox, staroffice, gimp...
- Execute remote X applications (more firefox, staroffice, gimp...)
- Several Gb encrypted directories
- Many more things...

And I'm worried that if I upgrade to Sarge I could feel that it's slower for
making the same amount of job... what do you think about this?

Also, I'm using kernel 2.2.26, it supports all the hardware I have so I
haven't upgraded... could I run Sarge without upgrading my kernel? is really
an advantage to upgrade kernel in such old hardware as this?

Thanks for your help:

Nacho

--
No book comes out of a vacuum (G. Buehler)
http://www.lascartasdelavida.com