Re: Sarge, coreutils and fileutils

Matthew Joyce wrote:
> Dear debian-user,
>
> I decided to build a new intranet today, grabbed sarge-netinst and
> booted, installed, great.
>
> Now i'm trying to 'apt-get install php4' and something unpleasant is
> happening.
>
> intranet:~# apt-get install php4
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
>   fileutils libdb2 libmm11
> Suggested packages:
>   phpdoc php4-pear
>   fileutils libdb2 libmm11 php4
> 0 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 0B/1572kB of archives.
> After unpacking 4012kB of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
> (Reading database ... 11975 files and directories currently installed.)
> Unpacking fileutils (from .../fileutils_4.1-10_i386.deb) ...
> dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/fileutils_4.1-10_i386.deb
> (--unpack):
>  trying to overwrite `/bin/chgrp', which is also in package coreutils
> dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
>  /var/cache/apt/archives/fileutils_4.1-10_i386.deb
>

> I did a bit of googling, and if I'm understanding this correctly, php4
> needs fileutils, fileutils has programs which exist in coreutils which
> is installed already.
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/
> "Previously these utilities were offered as three individual sets of GNU
> utilities,  fileutils,  shellutils, and  textutils. Those three have
> been combined into a single set of utilities called the coreutils."
>

> Is there a way to tell php4 to not install fileutils ?
> Should this work automagically ?
> I admit, I have always relied of apt-get to just work.
> I'm surprised that Sarge out of the box can't install php4.
>
> Have I missed something ?

Here is what my box gives:

$ apt-cache show fileutils
Package: fileutils
Section: oldlibs
Installed-Size: 16
Maintainer: Michael Stone <mstone@debian.org>
Architecture: all
Source: coreutils
Version: 5.2.1-2
Pre-Depends: coreutils
Filename: pool/main/c/coreutils/fileutils_5.2.1-2_all.deb
Size: 9042
MD5sum: c846ba12a55f69a4b147d1fbc67a33a5
 Empty package to facilitate upgrades, can be safely removed.

$ dpkg -L fileutils
/.
/usr
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/fileutils
/usr/share/doc/fileutils/copyright
/usr/share/doc/fileutils/buildinfo.gz
/usr/share/doc/fileutils/changelog.Debian.gz

It looks like you are getting the old version of fileutils.  Try
removing Woody from your sources.list.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez