Sarge, coreutils and fileutils

Dear debian-user,

I decided to build a new intranet today, grabbed sarge-netinst and
booted, installed, great.

Now i'm trying to 'apt-get install php4' and something unpleasant is
happening.

intranet:~# apt-get install php4
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  fileutils libdb2 libmm11
Suggested packages:
  phpdoc php4-pear
  fileutils libdb2 libmm11 php4
0 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/1572kB of archives.
After unpacking 4012kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 11975 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking fileutils (from .../fileutils_4.1-10_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/fileutils_4.1-10_i386.deb
(--unpack):
 trying to overwrite `/bin/chgrp', which is also in package coreutils
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
 /var/cache/apt/archives/fileutils_4.1-10_i386.deb

I did a bit of googling, and if I'm understanding this correctly, php4
needs fileutils, fileutils has programs which exist in coreutils which
is installed already.

http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/
"Previously these utilities were offered as three individual sets of GNU
utilities,  fileutils,  shellutils, and  textutils. Those three have
been combined into a single set of utilities called the coreutils."

Is there a way to tell php4 to not install fileutils ?
Should this work automagically ?
I admit, I have always relied of apt-get to just work.
I'm surprised that Sarge out of the box can't install php4.

Have I missed something ?

Thanks

Matthew Joyce
Children's Cancer Institute Australia