USB dvdrw mount point Woes

Object: Use Sony DRX-510DRl usb dvdrw with cdparanoia and cdrecord to rip cd tracks and write data and audio cd's. Box is Testing with kernel compiled from Debian kernel-source-2.6.8.

Initially less /proc/bus/usb/devices showed device details but cdparanoia and cdrecord cannot find it and there is no mount point to read a data cd.

16 May there was a posting on the list that indicated discovery was the problem and suggested discovery1. Switched to discovery1 and had read data access to the device as /dev/sr0 but system crashed on shutdown. (At this point I was also recompiling the kernel trying to enable realtime. That problem solved by rmmod capability followed by modprobe realtime gid=29.) . Purged discovery, discovery1. System shuts down ok, hotplug disconnect and hotplug connect of Sony drive ok and read data access to device as /dev/sr0 ok but cdparanoia and cdrecord cannot find Sony dvdrw..
Recompiled kernel with modules for

   SCSI device support,
   SCSI disk support,
   SCSI CDROM support, and
   SCSI generic support

Now /dev/sr0 is gone, /dev/sg0 is present. cdrecord -scanbus sees the device at 0,0,0 and cdparanoia -v -d /dev/sg0 17 track17.wav with rip the track but it is no longer possible to mount the device to read a data cd and shutdown will crash the system as will unplugging and replugging the usb cable. (Note: This problem is specific to the device. At all times I have been able to plug and unplug a jumpdrive with no problems whatsoever.)

Since I have installed the SCSI support as modules, perhaps I only need to remove and install certain modules and all would be well. I am reluctant to experiment as it is a real pain recovering from improperly shut down file systems.

Any guidance to managing the problem would be most welcome.

Tom George