Re: Problems upgrading woody to sarge

shatam bhattacharya wrote:

> Hello List,
>             I wanted to upgrade from woody to sarge by APT. I am
> facing a peculiar problem after apt-get dist-upgrade, the apt never
> gets connected. It says [0%] Connecting to http.us.debian.org(1.0.0.0)
> and then sort of hangs, I have even tried with some other mirrors but
> the problem persists. could this be due to the apache server(because
> at bootup it says 'Cant find servers domain name, setting to
> localhost'). I am on the network as I can ping and surf the internet
> on both XP and debian. I am using a DSL connection with a Realtek 8139
> ethernet card. I needed to install the dri and drm for intel 82845 GL
> borad as right now I dont have X installed on my system.

Please post the current contents of "/etc/apt/sources.list".

Also please post the contents of "/etc/hostname" (and make sure it
matches the output of "hostname"), and post the line in "/etc/hosts"
that refers to "localhost". (You don't have debian.org listed in
"/etc/hosts" or "/etc/hosts.deny", do you?)

Please post the exact session from the time you enter "apt-get update"
until the hang occurs.

Try "aptitude" instead of "apt", and if that doesn't work, look in
"/var/log/aptitude" for any clues.

Try "dselect"/"update"; what's the results?

Oh-h-h-h, wait wait. I just reread your post above. Is this happening
when you do an "apt-get update" or an "apt-get dist-upgrade"? Again,
posting the exact session as mentioned above might be enlightening (and
don't forget that "/etc/apt/sources.list" file, which is where I suspect
the problem to be).

The apache server is not causing the problem; it might however be a clue
to the problem.

--
Kent