Problems upgrading woody to sarge

Hello List,
            I wanted to upgrade from woody to sarge by APT. I am facing a peculiar problem after apt-get dist-upgrade, the apt never gets connected. It says [0%] Connecting to http.us.debian.org(1.0.0.0)
and then sort of hangs, I have even tried with some other mirrors but the problem persists. could this be due to the apache server(because at bootup it says 'Cant find servers domain name, setting to localhost'). I am on the network as I can ping and surf the internet on both XP and debian. I am using a DSL connection with a Realtek 8139 ethernet card. I needed to install the dri and drm for intel 82845 GL borad as right now I dont have X installed on my system.
Please help.
shatam

Shatam Bhattacharya
New Delhi,