[IPMG1:SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: Configuring X on Intel 82845 gl board

shatam bhattacharya wrote:

> >I assume the "1.0.0.0" is what your system believes the IP address to
> >be for debian.org. If so, then something's seriously hosed with your
> >DNS lookups.
>
> I am using a telephone line DSL (make Dlink 502T router) and ethernet
> card (Realtek 8139 PCI Fast Ethernet). I have a subsciption of MTNL
> (Govt. telephone Co.). And most importantly everything else seems to
> work fine. I can ping, surf, use DAP, etc. Is it possible for the DNS
> lookup to fail in the case of apt and not  while pinging the site. I
> mean I don't know. Cannot there be any other problem with apt???
>
> Shatam Bhattacharya
> New Delhi,
> India

It's quite possible there's another problem with apt; it does seem odd
that your network would work properly except when it comes time to use apt.

I think I'd try a different mirror, perhaps one closer to home. You can
find a list of mirrors for stable here:
http://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/ (and many of these will probably work
for testing also). It may be that you're just having trouble reliably
getting to debian.org from New Delhi. I see similar problems when my
local ISP is congested (university, when the students are out of class
and downloading the latest goodies, etc).

--
Kent West
Technology Support