Re: Debian newbie without internet connection...

Sunburned Surveyor wrote:

> I am new to Linux and Debian. I've just installed Debian from CD. I
> would like to install some software on my new Linux computer. (For
> example, I would like to install OpenOffice.) However, I can't run
> "apt-get install", because I don't have an internet connection to my
> Linux computer yet. I've got access to a high-speed internet
> connection on a Windows computer.
>
> What is the easiest way to install software on Debian in this
> situation? I have figured out how to get apt to install software from
> a CD, but I'm not sure how I resolve all the dependency issues. Is
> there a way that I can run apt-get from my Windows computer to
> download all the depencies I need? Then I could burn the packages to
> CD and transfer them to my Debian computer. Or is there another way to
> get all the dependencies for a particular peice of software that I
> want to install?

Rather than answer the question you're asking, I'm going to suggest that
you instead fix your networking. It'll make life a lot easier, IMO. A
lot. Bunches. Oodles. Gobs.

Of course, that's assuming your lack of an internet connection to your
Debian computer is easily fixed.

If, for whatever reason, you prefer to stick to installation via CDs,
I'd recommend that you simply download and burn to CD the ISO images for
Debian, or at least the first 3 or 4 CDs. Then you can just "apt-get
install <whatever>" (for packages on those CDs; they're arranged in
order of popularity, with the first CD having the most popular packages
on it), and the dependency issues will be handled automagically.

--
Kent West
Technology Support