Re: [OT] Debian is ugly -- package for beautification?

On Sunday 15 May 2005 10:02 pm, Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> On 2005-05-16, Hal Vaughan penned:
> > On Sunday 15 May 2005 07:31 pm, Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> >> See, I thought about this, especially because Ron said "SO" instead
> >> of some more gender-specific term.  Either he's implying something
> >> about the OP's female partner, or he's implying something about the
> >> OP's gay male partner.  Either way, it's a stereotype.
> >
> > No it isn't.  I know a lot of Linuxers who have an SO (of either
> > same or opposite gender) who don't like Linux for a number of
> > reasons, including a UI they don't like because it isn't appealing.
> > I know I, who have been using Linux for a number of years (almost
> > exclusively) find it is much easier for me to work on with a
> > pleasing UI -- I've even noticed that I get more done when I have a
> > UI that "feels" good.
>
> Right, so when someone asks for a "prettier" interface and someone
> else responds "Is that what's keeping your SO from using Linux?" --
> without ANY suggestion from the OP that the issue has ANYTHING to do
> with their SO -- you don't think it's the least bit odd?

I'm used to Ron, so the question is relative.  If Lance Armstrong dresses up
in a dress, it's odd.  If Dennis Rodman does it, it is not odd.  Behavior is
relative to the person.  If an odd person acts odd, I expect it.

So, no, I don't think it's odd.

(But the answer is often formed by asking the right question, so if you asked
me if I think Ron's the least bit odd...)

> The funny part is that he implied an insult to people who want a
> "pleasing UI," and you don't even realize it.

I've seen Ron on other lists.  I'll be the first person in line to say he's a
curmudgeon.  He's quick to state his point of view, especially if it's not
politically correct, or if it might start a discussion.  BUT I'll also be the
first person in line to say he will go out of his way to help someone.  I've
gotten into a number of debates with him and both of us are shocked if we
ever agree on anything, but I also know if I post a message asking for help,
he's always quick to help as much as he can.

> > There's a difference to calling something BS when it is BS versus
> > when one decides to be offended by it.
>
> Sure.
>
> Regardless, I'm done with this particular line of discussion.

So you're saying your choice is that you have decided to be offended by
this...

Hal