Re: [OT] Debian is ugly -- package for beautification?

On Sunday 15 May 2005 07:31 pm, Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> On 2005-05-15, Alex Malinovich penned:
> > On Sat, 2005-05-14 at 10:42 -0600, Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> >> On 2005-05-14, Ron Johnson penned:
> >>
> >> Stereotype much?
> >
> > You'll have to pardon me while I play devil's advocate here :), but
> > the gender of the significant other wasn't specified (though it
> > obviously may have been implied). And, since it wasn't, in-fact,
> > specified, then your response could be construed as a stereotype of
> > the gender of a significant other.
>
> See, I thought about this, especially because Ron said "SO" instead of
> some more gender-specific term.  Either he's implying something about
> the OP's female partner, or he's implying something about the OP's gay
> male partner.  Either way, it's a stereotype.

No it isn't.  I know a lot of Linuxers who have an SO (of either same or
opposite gender) who don't like Linux for a number of reasons, including a UI
they don't like because it isn't appealing.  I know I, who have been using
Linux for a number of years (almost exclusively) find it is much easier for
me to work on with a pleasing UI -- I've even noticed that I get more done
when I have a UI that "feels" good.

> I didn't say anything
> about gender in my post.
>
> > p.s. In all fairness to Ron, he's never held back from speaking his
> > mind on this list which, in my case at least, is why I value him so
> > much as a member of the community.
>
> I don't have a problem with people speaking their minds; I also don't
> have a problem calling BS when I see it.

There's a difference to calling something BS when it is BS versus when one
decides to be offended by it.

Hal