Re: Please help: Accidentally wiped off the whole hard disk!!!

Deboo writes:
> Someone mentioned that it's theoretically possible to reconstruct and get
> all data back.

Nothing theoretical about it.  If all you did was repartition all you did
was write a new partition table to the MBR.  The data was not touched.  Put
the MBR back the way it was and you're fine.

> How much is it practically possible...

If you only altered the MBR you can recover everything.

> ...what are the reasons for failure, provided I do it very methodically
> and have the exact partition info? When does this "may lose data" come in
> to picture? Please explain.

You made a mistake once: you might do so again.  The hardware might fail.
The software might have a bug.  Back up the disk with dd before you start
(if possible).
--
John Hasler